Sunday, October 30, 2011

Vices and Virtues- Avaritia and Caritas.



If you follow my Twitter account, you would have seen a sneak peek of this work when it was still in it's linework stage- and after quite the wait, here are my posters based on the vice/virtues of avarice (greed) and charity! I have been continually tweaking this piece for the last week or so, and I'm finally happy with where they both are. I logged somewhere around 40-50+ hours on them (including my concept sketching process and whatnot). Per the assignment, we had to have 2+ figures interacting with objects that represent the vice/virtue- I ended up deciding on mass amounts of jewelry- the avarice girls are swimming in a pool of accessories while wearing and holding even more adornments, hoarding it all to themselves, whereas the charity girls are presenting themselves and their pile of finery to the viewer as a gift of sorts.

Something I challenged myself with on this assignment was using a palette that involved black/charcoal grey, since I don't usually use that color in my work. And yes, all of that jewelry was hand drawn- no shortcuts! A side effect of all that detailed drawing was that wrists were a hot mess for weeks. Not fun, but I don't regret my decision!

You can see the avarice clothes here and here, and the charity clothes here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment